Call recording is a useful feature that allows you to record phone conversations for various purposes, such as legal, personal, or professional. However, not all Android devices support this feature natively, and some countries have strict regulations on call recording. LineageOS, a popular custom ROM based on Android, also does not enable call recording by default, due to legal and ethical reasons.
Fortunately, there is a way to enable native call recording in LineageOS, thanks to a Runtime Resource Overlay (RRO) created by a developer named 2shrestha22. This RRO modifies the dialer app in LineageOS to allow call recording in all countries, without affecting the functionality or performance of the app. The RRO is available as a flashable zip file and a Magisk module, which means you can install it on both rooted and non-rooted devices running LineageOS.
In this article, we will show you how to download and install the Lineage Call Recording Enabler on your device, and how to use it to record calls in LineageOS. We will also answer some frequently asked questions about this RRO and its compatibility.
Table of Contents
There are two ways to download the Lineage Call Recording Enabler, depending on whether your device is rooted or not. You can choose either of the following methods:
- Non-rooted method: Flashing the zip file via custom recovery
- Rooted method: Installing the Magisk module via Magisk Manager
Non-rooted method: Flashing the zip file via custom recovery
If your device is not rooted, but you have a custom recovery installed, such as Lineage Recovery or TWRP, you can flash the zip file of the Lineage Call Recording Enabler via the custom recovery. This method does not require root access, but it will overwrite the existing dialer app in your system partition. Therefore, you should make a backup of your system partition before proceeding.
To flash the zip file via custom recovery, follow these steps:
- Download the latest flashable zip file of the Lineage Call Recording Enabler from: here.
- Copy the zip file to your device’s SD card.
- Reboot your device into the custom recovery mode. The exact method may vary depending on your device model, but usually, you can do this by holding the power and volume buttons simultaneously while the device is powered off.
- In the custom recovery menu, select Install or Install Zip, and navigate to the location where you copied the zip file.
- Select the zip file and swipe to confirm the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your device normally.
Note: If you use Lineage Recovery, you can flash “Lineage Call Recording Enabler” to your device using ADB sideload.
Rooted method: Installing the Magisk module via Magisk
If your device is rooted with Magisk, you can install the Magisk module of the Lineage Call Recording Enabler via the Magisk Manager app. This method does not overwrite the existing dialer app in your system partition, but instead, creates a virtual overlay on top of it. Therefore, you can easily uninstall the module if you want to disable call recording or update LineageOS.
To install the Magisk module via Magisk Manager, follow these steps:
- Download the latest Magisk module of the Lineage Call Recording Enabler from: here.
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your device, and tap on the Modules icon at the bottom.
- Tap on the plus (+) icon at the bottom right, and navigate to the location where you downloaded the Magisk module.
- Select the Magisk module and tap on Install.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your device.
Using Lineage Call Recording Enabler: Step-by-Step Guide
After you have downloaded and installed the Lineage Call Recording Enabler on your device, you can start using it to record calls in LineageOS. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the dialer app on your device, and make or receive a phone call.
- During the call, you will see a new icon on the top right corner of the screen, which looks like a microphone with a red dot. Tap on this icon to start recording the call.
- You will hear a beep sound and see a notification that the call is being recorded. You can also pause or resume the recording by tapping on the same icon again.
- To stop the recording, either end the call or tap on the icon again. You will hear another beep sound and see a notification that the recording has been saved.
- To access your recorded calls, open the dialer app, and tap on the menu icon at the top right corner. Then, tap on Call Recordings. You will see a list of all your recorded calls, with the date, time, duration, and contact name or number. You can play, delete, share, or rename your recorded calls from this menu.
Is call recording legal in my country?
Call recording laws vary from country to country, and sometimes from state to state. Some countries require the consent of both parties to record a call, while others only require the consent of one party. Some countries also have specific regulations on how the recorded calls can be used, stored, or disclosed. Therefore, you should check the local laws and regulations before using call recording, and respect the privacy and rights of the other party. You should also inform the other party that you are recording the call, and obtain their consent if necessary.
Does the Lineage Call Recording Enabler work on all LineageOS versions and devices?
The Lineage Call Recording Enabler is compatible with LineageOS 19.1 and above, and it should work on most devices that support LineageOS. However, it may not work on some devices that have a different dialer app or a different framework. If you encounter any issues or bugs with the Lineage Call Recording Enabler, you can report them to the developer on GitHub Reddit.
Will the Lineage Call Recording Enabler survive OTA updates?
If you installed the Lineage Call Recording Enabler via the non-rooted method, it will be overwritten by the OTA update, and you will have to flash it again via the custom recovery. If you installed it via the rooted method, it will survive the OTA update, and you will not have to reinstall it.
How can I uninstall the Lineage Call Recording Enabler?
If you installed the Lineage Call Recording Enabler via the non-rooted method, you can uninstall it by flashing the uninstaller zip file via the custom recovery. If you installed it via the rooted method, you can uninstall it by deleting the Magisk module via the Magisk app.
We hope this article helped you to enable native call recording in LineageOS, and to record phone conversations with ease. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!